Recipe: Coconut Almond Chicken

Recipe: Coconut Almond Chicken

Before I even get into the recipe let me first tell you how AMAZING this dish is. Chicken can be a little dry sometimes, but this was absolutely delicious, tender, and I wanted seconds...and thirds! Henry isn't too keen on meat and Hank doesn't eat it at all, so my wish was granted and all the chicken was mine. Awesome.

This recipe came from a few different places, and perfected in my kitchen. If you search "Paleo coconut chicken" or "clean eating coconut chicken" you're bound to find a million recipes. I read over a few but ultimately ran with it, and I'm so happy how it turned out.

This chicken is incredibly easy to make and I love that it includes just a handful of ingredients. Hank and I discussed ways to make it vegetarian or even vegan friendly, so perhaps I'll try that in the future. Let me know if you end up making this dish, and also let me know if you like it. I have a feeling you will!


What you'll need:

chicken breast
3/4 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup almond meal/flour
a pinch or two of sea salt
1 egg or two egg whites (I used 1 whole egg)
1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
pan for frying

*As an afterthought, although the almond flour gives it a nice, subtle nutty flavor, I think it would be great to add some crushed almonds to the dry mix too. So if you have some on hand, give it a try!

Recipe: Coconut Almond Chicken

Directions:

1. Mix the shredded coconut, almond flour and sea salt together in a bowl.

2. In a second bowl, beat your egg (or two egg whites if you prefer).

3. Dip each chicken breast or piece into the egg, then into the dry mixture, coating all sides evenly.

Recipe: Coconut Almond ChickenRecipe: Coconut Almond Chicken

4. Heat up your coconut oil in your pan. I usually like to heat my pan up on its own for a minute, then add in the coconut oil. It should "melt" and turn to liquid.

5. Pan fry the chicken breasts in the coconut oil, until the middle of the chicken is no longer pink. The outside coating should turn a light brown.

6. Pair with some tasty veggies and enjoy! You may want to make my favorite salad dressing too.

Recipe: Coconut Almond ChickenRecipe: Coconut Almond ChickenDSC_0225