Literate & Stylish: Sally of Sally Said

LS
The premise of Literate & Stylish is simple, and the post is short but sweet- every Thursday I'll be showcasing a lovely lady and her favorite book. She'll share a few pretty photos showing off her personal style, along with her book of choice, and tell us why she loves it. 



from Sally of Sally Said

Slaughterhouse-Five: A Novel by Kurt Vonnegut

While it would be impossible for me to choose one single favourite book, there is something about Slaughterhouse-Five that really stands out to me as a remarkable read.

Slaughterhouse-Five tells the story of Billy Pilgrim, a soldier in World War II. It documents his entire life and journeys through time, with the main focus being on his time spent in Dresden during the war.

I think that, for me, the most striking thing about Slaughterhouse-Five is the fact that while it is brilliantly funny, it is also heartbreakingly sad. Although many people had recommended it to me, it wasn’t until quite recently that I actually read Slaughterhouse-Five. I was struck, not only by the beauty of the writing, but also by how incredibly engaging it is to read. A novel about war is not something that would usually appeal to me, yet Vonnegut’s style of writing really draws the reader in. I think that the use of humour adds a very human element to something that, for me, could seem a very abstract idea – war. I also love how Vonnegut mixes up so many genres in his work. Slaughterhouse 5 has elements of an anti-war novel, science fiction and comedy, yet at the same time is completely unique within itself. If you haven’t already, I would definitely recommend reading Slaughterhouse-Five!


*did you know that half of my back is home to a SlaughterHouse Five tattoo? Read more about it here.
see previous Literate & Stylish posts here.