Literate & Stylish: Elise from Our Dearest Family

LS
The premise of Literate & Stylish is simple, and the post is short but sweet- every Thursday I'll be showcasing a lovely lady and her favorite book. She'll share a few pretty photos showing off her personal style, along with her book of choice, and tell us why she loves it. 


from Elise Dear of Our Dearest Family

The Home has a Heart by Thyra Ferre Bjourn

"A long time ago, the pride of a women's life was her home. Cooking to her was an art, the biggest ingredient, always sprinkled liberally into all mixtures, was love. Her home did not need to be furnished elaborately, nor did she need rouge on her cheeks, she had roses painted with the glow of love and excitement. And in spite of all she had to do, she seemed to have time left over to just sit and think and dream and be happy."

I originally picked up this book at a coffee shop in Seattle because it was pink. While enjoying a pastry and sugary coffee, I began to read, Thyra tells in the beginning that she wrote this "cookbook" (her original intention) for new brides to learn to cook, entertain and bring life into their home. It felt perfect for me, as I was on my honeymoon, "I'm as new as a bride could be!" I hoped to purchase the book from the shop but instead they gave it to me. It is such a dear memory of reading lovely words, next to my new husband, eating delicious treats and enjoying our new marriage. I love this book so much today, because it is filled with recipes and "Gold Nuggets", as she calls them, wisdom passed down through the years, and stories about her life, about her family and what they were like. And it always reminds me that home is the heartbeat of my family. Even though it is just two of us, as our hearts beat together, I'm trying to keep our hearts, our home, happy, healthy, and filled with love.






see previous Literate & Stylish posts here.