Tattoo Tuesday V.89


Name/blog name: Jessica // Ohmywonderful.etsy.com & pinterest.com/ohmywonderful
Age: 28
Occupation: Beer giver and tour guide at New Belgium Brewing
Age of 1st tattoo: 20
Favorite Tattoo: flying cupcake
Featured tattoo/location: deer on my calf
Artist/shop/location of featured tattoo: Ish Johnson in Fort Collins, CO


1) Tell us about the tattoo you are sharing with us- is there a background story or special meaning? Why did you choose this particular piece of art?

I've always thought deer were beautiful and gentle and have been drawn to images of them in art and photography. I knew I wanted a tattoo of the most handsome deer with flowers and feathers around him. I told my tattoo artist that I wanted him to be delicate and ornate with bright colors (kind of like a Jesus candle, you know, the ones at the grocery store?). Ish's drawing exceeded my expectations, and I am so happy with the tattoo!


2) Do you have any other tattoos? If so, what do you have and where?

I have quite the tattoo collection that is quickly growing! My most favorite is the cupcake on my right foot. Every time the artist colored in a sprinkle he giggled.


On my left wrist I have script that says "To write with light". It's the literal translation of photo-graphie, which is Latin for photography.


There is a pink bunny on my left shoulder carrying a banner that says "LuLu". This one is for my dog. My two nick names for her are fluffy bunny and LuLu.


And on my right arm I have a half sleeve that wraps around my back of a Japanese garden. This one was actually my first real tattoo (I have a small one on my back that will be covered eventually) and I surprised myself and went big! There are peonies, cherry blossoms, and a bird on the inside of my arm, all surrounded by clouds. This piece was done by Carlos Truan in Austin, TX, and I am in love with the bright saturated color and insane detail!



3) Do you plan on getting more?

Yes, I'm definitely getting more. My next one will be a blue carnation on my left elbow. It's my mom's favorite flower. Then I have plans for a Russian nesting doll, and I'm playing with ideas for a side piece.

4) How do your family and friends feel about your tattoo(s)? Have you run into any adversity or negativity because of them?

My family is pretty accepting of my tattoos, even though I'm the only one in my family with any. All of my friends are accepting as well, and the ones without any tattoos love mine. My fiance is also pretty heavily tattooed. He has two Japanese half sleeves that go across his chest, and he'll be extending to full sleeves soon. Most people react to me in a positive way. It's funny how many compliments I get from elderly people and how many people tell me that they normally don't like tattoos but think mine are pretty. I was also surprised at the fact that the more tattoos I got, the more people talked to me about them. I would assume the opposite would happen and I would come across as more intimidating or something. That being said, I have come across negativity as well. Nasty looks, offensive comments, and rude people thinking it's ok to touch me even though we don't know each other. But that all comes with the territory and is to be expected when visibly tattooed. I try not to let mean people get to me.



5) Any advice for those interested in getting tattooed but haven't gotten one yet?

Tattoos can be a great reminder not to take life too seriously. Have fun with them! Just be prepared that after you get your first tattoo you will probably want more. If you get a very meaningful tattoo, keep in mind that if it's in a visible place, people will ask you about it, so make sure it's something you're comfortable talking about to strangers. Also, because you have tattoos other people will want to show you theirs (which gets really annoying). My fiance's favorite saying is "Yes I have tattoos, no I don't want to see yours". And most importantly, find an artist whose style you like, give them artistic freedom (they know what looks good on skin and I've always been blown away at how much better their drawing is than what I had originally imagined), and never bargain hunt.
Oh yeah, and they hurt. ;)