Tattoo Tuesday V.85


Name and blog name: Shannon // i love mazzy + zephyr 
Occupation: Stay at home momma (of two!) crafter and DIYer I hope to open an Etsy shop soon
Age of first tattoo: 20
Favorite tattoo: My back (also my only tattoo right now)
Featured tattoo/location: Peacock, entire back
Artist/shop/location of feature tattoo: Done by Alex Garcia of Dolorosa Tattoo, Studio City, CA


1) Tell us about your featured tattoo- is there a background story or special meaning? Why did you choose this particular piece of art?

I chose this piece because my father passed away when I was young and he had a peacock holding a banner with my name on his forearm. I wanted something in honor of him and the short time we had together. The peacock also regrows its feathers every year, thus symbolizing renewal. In various religions they also symbolize resurrection. Renewal and resurrection were fitting themes at that time in my life. The beams of sun coming out from behind the clouds were very symbolic for me leaving behind and old life and starting over. Progress has been postponed twice when I got pregnant but there are no babies planned for the near future so I hope to continue with the coloring soon! 


2) Do you have any other tattoos? If so, what do you have and where?

I don't right now. My first tattoo (a gothic cross) is now covered up. I want to focus on finishing this piece and I am thinking long and hard about the placement of the tattoos I want next.

3) Do you plan on getting more?

Definitely! I plan on getting something for my two little ones.

4) How do your family and friends feel about your tattoo(s)?  Have you run into any adversity or negativity because of them? Do you have a significant other? Does he/she have tattoos?

My family is quite supportive. If my dad were around I know he'd think it was awesome. He had a ton of tattoos himself. My mom loves my tattoo and she just got her first at age 50! My tattoo doesn't show all of the time but if I am wearing a shirt where it does show I have got some looks and people can be rude but I don't pay them any attention. It's my body and I think its beautiful! My husband has two half sleeves and a couple of tattoos on his back and legs. He plans on getting full sleeves and more tattoos. One he really wants is a portrait of Willie Nelson.



 

5) Any advice for those interested in getting tattooed but haven't gotten one yet?

I would definitely say take your time deciding what you want. I know not everyone has a special meaning behind a tattoo but I think if you find something that does have real life meaning for you, you will love it forever. I got my first tattoo on a whim, and it didn't last, I wanted it covered up as soon as possible. My peacock symbolizes many different things for me and I continue to find new meaning in it as the years go by.