Good out of evil

I finished "The Shack" last night and highly recommend it. Here is one last quote for you. This is Mack trying to understand whether or not the death of his daughter was part of God's plan. People assigning evil to God as a punishment or a mystery is so very common, in my experience, which I have never understood. How could anyone worship a God that they believe does such things. This is a great way to understand things better and I really like it.

"Obviously you know about my daughter's fascination with waterfalls and especially the legend of the Multnomah Princess." Papa nodded. "Is that what this is about? Did she have to die so you could change me?"

"Whoa there Mack." Papa leaned forward. "That's not how I do things."

"But she loved that story so much."

"Of course she did. That's how she came to appreciate what Jesus did for her and the whole human race. Stories about a person willing to exchange their life for another are a golden thread in your world, revealing both your need and my heart."

"But if she hadn't died, I wouldn't be here now..."

"Mack, just because I work incredible good out of unspeakable tragedies doesn't mean I orchestrate the tragedies. Don't ever assume that my using something means I caused it or that I need it to accomplish my purposes. That will only lead you to false notions about me. Grace doesn't depend on suffering to exist, but where there is suffering you will find grace in many facets and colors."

"Actually, that's a relief. I couldn't bear to think that my pain might have cut short her life."

"She was not your sacrifice, Mack. She is and will always be your joy. That's enough purpose for her."